|Honourable Mr K. Kalyandas Desai assumed charge as the Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court on September 27, 1972 after Hon'ble Justice Mr. S.P. Kotval.|
His Lordship was born in Bombay on October 27, 1910 in a family of social reformers. His Lordship had his early education at the Gurukul Residential School at Shuklatirth in the former Broach district. After passing his Matriculation Examination in 1928 he joined the Elphinstone college at Bombay from where he graduated in 1932. His Lordship then took to the study of law and after a brilliant career at the Government Law College at Bombay, where he stood first in Hindu Law and obtained the coveted Judge Spencer prize and Sir Arnold Scholarship, he secured his law degree in 1934. His Lordship joined the Original Side Bar of the High Court in January 1938 and soon took his place in the ranks of the leading advocates of the day.
His Lordship was appointed an Additional Judge of the Bombay High Court on April 18, 1958 and was confirmed as a permanent Judge of the Court on December 12, 1959. His Lordship's tenure over a decade and a half on the Bench showed his firm grasp of first principles, his legal acumen and quick disposal of cases, his patience and suavity in Court . His Lordship retired on October 27, 1972.