High Court was established on 9 January 1936 for the Central Provinces
and Berar by a Letters Patent issued by King Emperor, George V under
Section 108 of the Government of India Act, 1915 on 2 January
1936. The Jurisdiction of the Nagpur High Court as invested by
said the Letters Patent continued even after the adoption of the
Constitution of India on 26 January 1950 by virtue of Articles 225
& 372 thereof. The first Chief Justice was Sir Gilbert
Stone. The first Indian Chief Justice of Nagpur High Court was
Mr. Justice Vivian Bose.
enactment of the State Reorganisation Act in 1956, Nagpur
became a part of the then State of Bombay. Chief Justice Mr. M.
C. Chagla issued an Order under section 51(3) of States Reorganisation
Act establishing Benches at Nagpur and Rajkot. After the Bombay
Reorganisation Act, 1960 two new States of Maharashtra and Gujarat were
formed. Rajkot merged with Gujarat and Nagpur remained the part
of Maharashtra. The Central Provinces became the new State of
Madhya Pradesh and a High Court was constituted with its principal seat
The Nagpur High Court building is called a Poem in Stone
because of its
beautiful structure. The most conspicuous feature of the High
Court frontage is the Dome, then the grant entrance, both towers and
then the majestic staircase. It was designed by Architect H.A.N.
Medd. The first impression which one gets is that the structure
resembles Classical European architectural forms. Greek influence
can be seen prominently in the columns. The predominant Roman
features can be seen in ornamentation of both square and arched
alcoves. Italian influence can be seen in the ascending frontage
known as the "Piano Nobile" meaning "Noble Floor" with a distinctive
Indian touch. The Dome is in three parts two of which have the
form of sepulchral architecture-dome and chhatries. The
Renaissance drum is cylindrical and elongated. Over it are
Rajasthani chhatris. The dome has the resonance of the soprano.